incorporating the 3rd Annual Meeting of the ANDROID Disaster Resilience Network
MediaCityUK, Salford Quays, UK, 9th – 11th September 2014
We are pleased to announce the 4th International Conference on Building Resilience, incorporating the 3rd Annual Meeting of the ANDROID Disaster Resilience Network. The event will be held at MediaCityUK, Salford Quays, in the North West of England from 9th – 11th September 2014. The call for papers is attached here.
The conference is jointly organised by the Centre for Disaster Resilience, University of Salford and the ANDROID Disaster Resilience Network, in association with the United Nations International Strategy for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDR) Making Cities Resilient: ‘My City is getting ready!’ campaign.
The conference will explore the concept of resilience as a useful framework of analysis for how society can cope with the threat of hazards, helping to understand attributes that enable physical, socio-cultural, politico-economic and natural systems to adapt, by resistance or changing in order to reach and maintain an acceptable level of functioning.
The conference incorporates the following special features:
- Research papers subject to double blind peer review by international scientific committee
- Themes to promote inter-disciplinary working
- Awards for best papers and special issue linked to the International Journal of Disaster Resilience in the Built Environment
- Hosting of the UN Making cities resilient campaign steering committee meeting
- Hyogo Framework for Action Phase 2 consultation activity
As the 3rd Annual Meeting of the ANDROID Disaster Resilience Network, the event will also provide an important opportunity to present the major results emerging from the 3 year work plan. The programme will incorporate a number of special features linked to the various activities of the Network, including:
- Meeting of 67 ANDROID network partner institutions, representing 31 countries from around the world
- ANDROID residential doctoral school
- Panel discussion on post-2014 ANDROID Network Plan and launch of the ANDROID Research Roadmap
- Seminars organised by ANDROID Special Interest Groups
In contrast to the first two annual meetings, the event welcomes associate members and non-members of the ANDROID network. However, all full member institutions of the ANDROID are expected to send a representative to the conference and meeting. The costs associated with attendance for this delegate, including registration, travel and subsistence, will be eligible for reimbursement in accordance with the project financial guidelines. Further details on eligibility will be sent separately. ANDROID partners are also welcome to send additional delegates to the conference, but they will not be eligible for reimbursement of associated expenses, including registration, travel and subsistence.
The call for papers and further details about the conference can be found at www.buildresilience.org/2014. We welcome contributions from industry practitioners, researchers and academics. The themes of the conference are designed to promote inter-disciplinary working and include, but are not limited to:
- Built environment
- Disaster risk
- Health and wellbeing
- Social resilience
The deadline for submission of abstracts is 31st January 2014, will full papers expected by 4th April 2014.
We very much look forward to seeing you in Salford next year.